Sunday, February 1, 2009

If it's February it must be collage...


After googling 'collage art blog' I found Michelle Caplan's blog.  Whilst it hasn't been updated recently, I found a couple of inspiring images that I tried to emulate (above).  I did this on the computer using Pages.  I made the images of Sophie and Tom black and white, then overlaid them with coloured images at 40% opacity.  I assume you can vary the opacity on Windows as well, but I've never tried before and don't have a Windows computer anymore!

Kate and I are collaging this month.  Hopefully this will be more successful than our month of felting which didn't work due to a number of reasons, mainly being a combination of the heat (have you tried felting during summer?!), school holidays (both of us have had two kids at home full-time) and we've both been sick.  We'll come back to the felted vessels during the year as we definitely haven't finished with them yet.

Our collaging will be very experimental and you'll see our evolution throughout the month.   I'm planning on doing a combination of collages both on and off the computer.  We're both going to use elements of our own images - whether they be paintings, photos, drawings, writing etc - as well as using images garnered elsewhere - magazines, newspapers, etc.  And with Kate's eldest starting school this week and my Tom starting school tomorrow, we should become a lot more productive very soon!

No comments: